Established in 2000, the PVWRC is a non-profit 501 (c) (3) organization and is affiliated with the Road Runners Club of America.
The mission of the PVWRC is to support women walkers and runners, by serving as a resource for race information, training partners, and topics of interest to members.
The Club strives to be a good community citizen, highlighting local organizations, races supporting charitable causes, and providing scholarship assistance to high school seniors going on to college.
The Pioneer Women’s Running Club offers a $1,000 scholarship for college-bound female high school athlete.
PVWRC is the first and largest all women’s running club in Western Massachusetts and Northern Connecticut. The PVWRC is a civic-minded club that hopes to support a female runner in its local community through this annual scholarship fund. The scholarship aims to reward a well-rounded, intelligent, civic-minded, college-bound high school senior who’s passionate about running.
The 2019 winner will be announced soon!
Scholarships have been awarded annually as follows:
- 2018 – Amanda Adams, Hampshire Regional, and Amy O’Sullivan, Greenfield
- 2017 – Haley Sullivan, Easthampton
- 2016 – Madeleine Hamparian, Belchertown
- 2015 – Lindsay Wassung, Agawam, and Allison Haryasz, Longmeadow
- 2014 – Kim McCarthy, Ludlow
- 2013 – Diamonte’ Spencer, Springfield Central, and Sara Vanna, Amherst Regional
- 2012 – Madison Granger, Belchertown, and Nora Garrity, Cathedral
- 2011 – Emma Larson, Northampton, and Sarah Wilson, Suffield
- 2010 – Leah Haake, Amherst Regional
- 2009 – Kristen Veit, Holyoke Catholic
- 2008 – Lauren Litscher, East Longmeadow, and Jeileen Rivera, Springfield Central
- 2007 – Carolyn Callaghan, Minnechaug Regional
- 2006 – Nicole Potter, Ludlow
- 2005 – Rebecca Compton, Longmeadow, and Casey Kane Monaghan, Holyoke
- 2004 – Lucy Sheehan, Longmeadow, and Amanda Riderle, Amherst Regional
- 2003 – Kristina Miner, Suffield
- 2002 – Heather Wenninger, Chicopee Comprehensive